To apply for help with a new legal matter,
1. First, determine the LSLA office that serves your Texas or Arkansas county by clicking here.
2. Next, call or visit that office to find out their intake hours and locations nearest you. Most offices can take your application by phone or mail and our staff visits most counties at least once per month.
3. If you reside in (or your legal matter must be handled in) Harris, Fort Bend, Galveston, Chambers, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Polk, Trinity, Walker or Waller Counties, please call our Central Intake Unit between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on weekdays except holidays. In the Houston metro area, call 713-652-0077. Outside the Houston metro area, call toll-free 1-800-733-8394. Please note that non-emergency family law applications are currently only accepted on Mondays in the Central Intake Unit. (Emergency applications are handled every day during telephone intake hours and in person during business hours at our Houston, Galveston and Conroe offices.)
4. If you reside outside our service area, but the legal matter needs to be handled in our service area, we may need you to get a referral from your local legal aid program. It will be more convenient for you to apply there and have your application screened then referred to our office than to have to apply and submit papers over a long distance.
5. Please keep in mind that we do not have enough staff to help everyone who is eligible. We try to help as many eligible people as we can with our limited staff. There also are some cases and people we are not allowed to help. If you apply and we decide we cannot help you, we will let you know promptly.
If you are already a client and need to speak with your assigned lawyer, or you have other reasons to contact LSLA, please call the office that is handling your matter or our Houston office during business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 713-652-0077 (toll-free 1-800-733-8394).
We have a complaint procedure . If you feel we have not given proper consideration to your application or reached the wrong eligibility determination, please follow the procedure described in the documents we will send you. If you believe our staff is not handling your case properly, you may also use the complaint procedure described in your acceptance letter. Our complaint procedure and form are also here if you need them.
OUR MAILING ADDRESS:
To find the mailing address of your local office, click here . Our headquarters office is located at:
Lone Star Legal Aid
1415 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77002
Business office fax number: 713-652-2709
(not for applications or faxes to attorneys)